Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Carol Neuhaus Remembers Zelda

Zelda was my cousin. She and my dad were first cousins. I have known her since I was a little girl and asked my mom why that little girl (Zelda) was allowed to wear heels and lipstick. Zelda would come to our house and play piano for me and sing the song with the lyrics, "There once was a lady who swallowed a fly. I don't know why she swallowed a fly, etc." and I have remembered that song all my life. I sort of lost track of Zelda until People Mag had a story about her and that she was going to be in Poltergeist. I sent Zelda a letter and she wrote back and we have kept in contact since then. When I lived in LA we lunched and she visited my home. Here in Tucson she visited once when she came to visit Wendy and my husband and I traveled to LA to see her twice. We talked every few months and she always let me know when she was going to be appearing in a TV show so I could watch.

You couldn't help but love Zelda. She made the very best of what life brought her. Her spirit and her giggle (I can hear it now as I write this) will remain with me always. I will truly miss Zelda. My life was all the better for having had her in it. It was so hard to watch her declining and I'm glad she is at peace now.

Thank you to all of you wonderful people who were part of Zelda's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment